Monday, June 2, 2008

Sierra Designs Paul Bunyan Sleeping Bag


Sleeping bags fit folks up to 5'10". Tall sleeping bags, 6'3". Stretch out some of the girth , 6'6". But taller? Good luck. For example, Feathered Friends in Seattle would be glad to make you a custom bag, which came highly recommended... but they're charging $500 and up for the thing.

Enter Sierra Designs. Their tents don't ever fit me. Their rainjackets don't fit me. But the Paul Bunyan Sleeping Bag is the winner. Ostensibly designed for a pro wrestler gone to the NBA, or a professional basketball player who retired into the Japanese sumo league, this is a *big* honking sleeping bag. It will fit someone who is 7'+ tall, without batting an eye. It's around three and a half pounds, so it's *heavy* for a backpacking bag, but it's rated to 10F,and for fourth-season trekking, might be quite the way to go.

My only gripe is the girth; if you're thin (I am!), and air sneaks in an out of the bag's collar when you roll around. I've solved this in the past by pulling the collar tight, or wearing a scarf to help seal it up. Meanwhile, I'm also carrying around the extra weight. I keep debating having Penny, the seamstress of Specialty Outdoors, cut a third of the bag out for me.

Anyways, $100 (clearance), $140 (full price). They stopped making them two years ago, but they have enough stock in various internet shops that this will be around for awhile still.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Clearly the solution here is to sleep with someone else, to make up for the extra girth space.